Heather & Family

Wednesday, April 27, 2005

FIrst trip to Toronto Sick Kids

Drew was so good today, I'm so proud of my baby boy! He had an appointment today for an Echocardiogram and an EKG at 10:15 this morning.

We got up at 5am, I fed him and got him up to play so he would sleep on the car ride. He was happy as could be. I got myself ready and Jason put all the baby gear in the car. I fed Drew at 6am as he wasn't allwed to eat again until after his procedure. He ate again thank goodness and off we went to my parents. My Dad drove us to Toronto (Thanks Dad!!!!) and we arrived at 9:30. Drew was happy the entire drive and it was quite easy to find and get a parking spot.

The hospital is just wonderful, I have never seen such a perfect place for kids to get well. We found the check in desk got our paperwork done and waited for our turn. I was amazed how happy Drew was because I thought he would be starving by this point. Drew was called in the room, they took his blood pressure and oxygenation levels which were hard to get because he is so chubby. He was given a liquid sedation; apparently it was very bitter tasting and he protested a bit but took it with only a few tears. The nurse said he would be asleep within 10 - 30 minutes. I picked him up to cuddle and he was asleep within 2 minutes, the nurse said he set a new record.

I carried him to the Echo room and the tech started his ultrasound, she then went to get someone else as she was having trouble getting the pictures she needed. The other tech did the rest of the echo while she watched. They said it would take 30 -90 minutes but it took just over 2 hours. They had us worrying, he woke up half way through but we put in his soother and he went back to sleep. The doc came in to get a few more pictures and told us that his condition was just as they had described to us in London.

A tech came in to do an EKG (lots of wires attached to test heart rhythms) and he woke up. He was just full of smiles and coos, the tech was thrilled. She said every other child she woke up today screamed at her. It was 1pm by this point and Drew hadn't eaten so I am amazed he was still happy, the nurse said he was still a little drunk from the medicine.

We left the room and I fed him and we were ready to go home. The worst part of the day was the awful 2 hour traffic jam we sat in on the way out of Toronto. It was sooo frustrating but thank goodness Drew slept the whole time!

We go back to Sick Kids on Monday for our pre op visit. We will meet with the docs and have blood work and x-rays and they will give us a hospital tour and we'll learn about aftercare. His surgery is coming so quickly, I am getting sooooo worried but I know he will come through just fine. He is one strong and brave boy.

On Friday I am taking Drew to London hospital for renogram of Drew's kidneys to see why they are still enlarged. They want the result of these tests before he has his heart surgery but I have had to postpone them because of the chicken pox. Poor kid has to go through so much!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home