Heather & Family

Monday, May 02, 2005

Pre-Op trip to Sick Kids

Last night we went to Toronto to spend the night at a hotel. My Mom and Dad drove us which saved us so much stress. They took us out to dinner at Red Lobster and watched Drew for a 1/2 hour while we went for a swim, it was so nice of them.

Our appointments started at 7:30 this morning so we got up bright and early. First we went for blood work, they take way to much blood for such a tiny person if you ask me! He really isn't that tiny they weighed him in at 17 lbs even. Everyone we saw commented on how big and chubby he was! Then we were off for a chest x-ray. I held him on a bicycle type seat with his hands over his head while the tech put this plastic tube tightly around him. Needless to say this was not an enjoyable 5 minutes for either of us he looked (and I'm sure felt) so uncomfortable. He was crying, I held it together somehow.

We went up to the cardiac ward for our "learning day". We met with a wonderful nurse Natalie who would be our guide for the day. She weighed him, got his height, took his blood pressure and oxygenation. Asked us a bunch of questions about his medical history and family history. She took us to meet with Dr. Golding his cardiologist, he was so warm and caring. He explained the surgery to us and told us more details about Drew's condition.

Then we met the cardiac surgery fellow and the surgeon that would be working on Drew. As a shook Dr. Chris Caladrone's hand I thought "My God, these are the hands that are going to fix my son's heart". He looks like a regular guy, I thought he might have a halo around his head or something ;) I asked him how many surgeries he has performed and he said well over 1000, 250-300 similar to Drew's condition so I think he is in great hands. Of course he had to tells us about all the possible complications, very scary, I pray Drew's surgery goes very well. He said the surgery will take 4 -6 hours from sedation to going to recovery with about 2 hours on the heart.

Then we met a doctor doing a research study that he wanted Drew to participate in. It is monitoring kidney function using diaretics (sp?) after surgery. We agreed to participate pending the results of his kidney test last week. Then they sent us to have a quick bite to eat.

Next the nurse showed us a Powerpoint presentation on the infant caridac surgery preparation and after care. She didn't know how to use the program and it took a lot for me not to jump in with a lesson LOL. It was very informative and included pictures of babies after surgery to prepare us for how many tubes and wires that we will see on Drew after. It was scary to see but I feel better prepared so I'm glad they showed them to us. He will have a breathing tube and be completely sedated for at least 24 hours after surgery. They expect him to be ready to go home 7 - 10 days after surgery.

Finally we headed down to the 2nd floor where the surgery will take place. We saw the waiting area, critical care and the pre-op waiting room. We met with anestesia (sp?) the doc was very nice. He showed the doors where we say good-bye :( :( and assured us that he would be asleep within minutes of leaving our arms and not even an IV would be put in until Drew was asleep. I am glad he won't be feeling all the pokes. I am allowed to nurse him until 4am for his 7:30 surgery which gives me great relief, I was worried it would be after midnight and we'd have a very cranky boy.

It was a long day we arrived at 7:30 and started to head for home about 3pm. It was a lot of people to meet and information to take in but I feel much more clear about everything. Very worried but informed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home