Heather & Family

Monday, March 21, 2005

Can't see the eye chart E

While the new year has come and we had enjoyed Christmas as a family of four. We have been in denial a bit about Drew's diagnosis because he is growing and seems perfectly healthy. I had been noticing that the vision in my right eye had not been good but I had been ignoring due to everything else that had been going on in our lives. I have always had 20/20 vision so I assumed now that I was almost 30 I would need glasses.

I finally called the eye doc and said that I needed to get checked out. She checked my left eye and I could see way down the last line of the eye chart. Then she checked my right I, and I couldn't see the giant E! I was shocked that it was that bad, my left eye had been compensating so much that I really didn't notice how bad it was. She looked in my eye and said "I don't want to tell you this but you have a serious problem. You need to go immediately to the eye institute." The doc knew what I was going through with Drew and that I didn't need anything else to deal with. When it rains it pours as the saying goes.

Off to the clinic I go with my hubby (and Drew) because they would be doing eye tests and I wouldn't be able to drive. We checked in and they sent us to a different location saying our appointment was at a different clinic and then after a quick check back to the first place. This infuriated me! A few of the tests couldn't be done because I am breastfeeding. So the head of the department made the diagnosis of Ocular Histoplasmosis Syndrome. This would need surgery to correct. It was schedule for 10 days later.

I spent that time pumping milk because I would not be able to breast feed for 24 hours after the meds givin for my surgery. I was awake during the procedure and I was glad I couldn't see anything. They actually drained my eye of all the "jelly" to do the work, ewwww. The stiches ON MY EYEBALL itched for about a week. The worst part is that I would have to spend 3 days FACE DOWN!! Talk about impossible. My husband and family were great they helped out so much. Drew was a wonderful and took the bottle like a pro! It was long three days and nights. Sleeping face down on lactating boobies is not a comfortable adventure! It took some very creative pillow positioning!!

It is all over with now my eye is still red two months later but my vision is coming back. It is not back to normal yet and it may never be but it is getting better. I go for a check up in early May.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home