Heather & Family

Monday, March 21, 2005

Drew's birth

I was 3-4 cm dialated at my 39 week appointment so my doctor decided to induce me on my due date. I was already having contractions when I arrived at the hospital so they started pitocin to get things moving and turned it off a 1/2 hour later because I was in active labour. The contractions were intense but I was moving along quickly so I managed to get through them.

I opted to deliver naturally as I had with Myah because I didn't want to our baby's kidneys to have to deal with any extra medications. After 7 hours of labour Drew Thomas Cadman was born at 10:02 pm on December 5, 2004 weighing 8 lbs 1 oz. He looked beautiful and we were thrilled to add a baby boy to our family.

I was worried about my little one before he was even born, we knew he would have kidney problems but we were confident that they would not cause him any problems long term. After he was born his "plumbing' was working just fine he pee'd all over and we were thrilled. He went right with us to our room and was very alert for about 2 hours. He fell asleep and we both got a great night sleep. When the pediatrician examined him in the morning he heard a heart murmur I was taken aback but not overly worried. I had heard of lots of people with innocent heart murmurs and I assumed everything would be fine after our cardiac check up. We were released from the hospital on December 7th and we were a bit nervous taking our baby home. He had to take oral antibiotics once daily to prevent any kidney infection. He takes the medicine through a bottle nipple and never gives us any trouble.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home